Kunnukara is a census town and panchayat in North Paravur Taluk in Ernakulam district, Kerala, India. The village is situated on the Airport road connecting North Paravur(NH17) and Nedumbassery(Kochi International Airport) via Athani(NH47). This village is surrounded by three rivers named Aluva Puzha on the south, Chalakudy Puzha on the north, and Manjali Puzha on the west which increases its natural beauty. The Arabian Sea is also located just 10 kms away towards west.
North Paravur is the nearest town and 7 kms away from this village. There are frequent bus services plying through this village connecting Angamaly with North Paravur through Manjaly , Athani and also to Aluva via NH 47. Buses available to other locations are Ernakulam, Kodungallur, Chalakudy, Mala, Puthenvelikkara, Kanakkankadavu, Ezhikkara, Cherayi, Munambam, Kalamassery, Trivandrum etc..
Ferry facilty is also available from Kunnukara(Vayalkara) to destinations like Aluva via UC College, Kalamassery via Kadungallur, Muppathadam and Eloor, Manakyapadi, Mannam, Alangad, Karingamthuruth, Kongorpilly, Thathapilly etc.
Click the play button to hear FM Radio...
Ernakulam, also referred to as Cochin, is called the Queen of the Arabian Sea. The commercial hub of Kerala, it is a fast growing city abuzz with industries, shopping malls, cinema houses, hotels and restaurants. Known for its Chinese fishing nets, churches, synagogues and the spectacular backwaters, Cochin is a developed city that has preserved its natural beauty.
The town has three main parts- Fort Cochin, Willingdon Island and Ernakulam. Fort Cochin (Fort Kochi) occupies the Southern cape on the seaward side of the Bay. Willingdon Island is a man-made island which was created from the sand dug out from deepening the port. Across the causeway from Willingdon Island is Ernakulam. The Bolghatty Island, a long narrow peninsula, is situated at the opposite side of Ernakulam jetty. The Vypeen Island is situated beyond Bolghatty Island.
Ernakulam (or Cochin) is located on the coast of the Arabian Sea with Allapuzha on the South, Idukki on the East and Thrissur on the North. The commercial capital and of Kerala, Ernakulam, is one of the finest natural harbours in the world which is a major centre of trade and commerce.
|Area||2407 sq kms|
|Best time to visit||September to February|
|Temperature||23 – 32 Degree Celsius|
Marine Drive , Ernakulam
|A popular hangout among Kochiites, Marine drive is the perfect place for an evening stroll. A walkway by the backwaters it is lined by beautiful Gulmohar trees and benches on either side. There are two bridges on each end of the walkway; one, in the shape of a rainbow and the other, shaped as a boat....|
Shiva Temple , Ernakulam
|Known as the Ernakulathappan Temple, the God of this temple is named after the city (Ernakulam). The deity Shiva, faces the west towards the sea which is a rarity. The idols of Lord Shiva and Parvathi found in the temple are believed to be self created. The Arattu procession where the deity is taken for a ritual bath in the temple pond marks the end of the eight day festival during the months of January and February.|
Hill Palace Museum, Tripunithura , Ernakulam
|The palace on a hill-top was built in 1865 and was the residence of the Raja of Cochin. The largest archeological museum of Kerala it is set up in 52 acres of land and has 49 buildings. Exhibits displayed in its 18 galleries include the royal throne and other antique furniture, precious jewellery used...|
Kerala Lalitha Kala Academy , Ernakulam
|A two acre plot in the heart of the city, what is now called the Durbar Hall Grounds; Kerala Lalitha Kala Academy was once the venue where the Maharaja of Cochin held his Durbars (meeings, events). Just behind the Shiva Temple, Ernakulam, the Kerala Lalitha Kala Academy holds exhibitions showcasing contemporary art...|
Museum of Kerala History , Ernakulam10 kms from the city this museum at Edappally was the brainchild of industrialist and philanthropist, R Madhavan Nair. The sculptures in the museum depict the history of Kerala through the Neolithic Age to the Modern age. The one hour light and sound show depicts Kerala’s journey through the past...
Chottanikkara Temple , Ernakulam
|About 16 kms away from Ernakulam, the Chottanikkara Temple enshrines the Goddess Bhagavathi in three forms: Saraswathi (the goddess of learning), Bhadrakali (the fierce form of the goddess Kali), and Durga (the divine mother). Worshippers throng the temple throughout the year and the nine-day Makam Thozhal...|
Bolghatty Palace , Ernakulam
|The palace situated in an area of 15 acres was built by the Dutch in 1744. The palace is now a heritage hotel with lush green lawns surrounding it. It also has a golf course. Boats to this island start from the High Court Jetty. Country boats (Machuvas) can also be hired near the Jetty.|
Santa Cruz Basilica , Ernakulam
|The Santa Cruz Basilica was built by the Portuguese in 1506 and recognized as a cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558. It was demolished by the British in 1795 and a new building was erected at the same site in the year 1887. It is a brilliant structure with a blue dome.|
St Francis Church , Ernakulam
|It is India’s first European church built in 1503 by a group of Portuguese. The Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama was buried here in 1524. 14 years later his remains were taken back to Lisbon, however, his tombstone remains intact. Regular services are conducted on all days of the week in English...|
Dutch Cemetery , Ernakulam
Consecrated in 1724, the Dutch Cemetery has granite and red stone tombs of Dutch traders and soldiers which now lay under a green canopy. Though it lies in ruins now, it is a remnant of the thriving Dutch community in Fort Kochi.
Fort Kochi Beach , Ernakulam
|The Fort Kochi beach with its Chinese fishing nets and wonderful sunsets is a place you must visit when you are in Kochi. A colourful carnival on the New Years Eve attracts a number of tourists to the beach.|
Maritime Museum , Ernakulam
|The museum established in 2001 consists of two bunkers which have been converted into galleries. One showcases the maritime heritage of India while the other shows the ship building activities of India through the Indus Valley civilization to the modern times.|
Pardesi Synagogue , Ernakulam
|The synagogue built in 1568 has 19th century chandeliers from Belgium, and blue willow pattered Chinese floor tiles from the 18th century. There is also a 4th century copper plate which carries the Maharaja’s inscription in Malayalam, in the unique Kannadiezhuthu (Mirror Writing) scrip.|
Clock Tower , Ernakulam
|The clock tower that stands next to the Pardesi Synagogue was built in 1760 by Ezekiel Rahabi, a Jewish businessman. Since the Jewish tradition does not have the custom of ringing bells it is a great mystery as to why the Jewish businessman built it this way.|
Jew Street , ErnakulamThe Jew Street in Fort Cochin is a quaint little street with curio shops that have an array of antiques in wood, brass and bronze. The shops have antiquities from all over the country. The street turned a shopping hub after the Jews living here returned to Israel.
Spice Market , Ernakulam
|The Spice market on Jew Street is a treasure trove of a variety of spices such as ginger, cardamom, cloves and pepper. Workers can be seen drying, sorting and packing the spices for retail. Walk into the spice market and let the whiff of spices flood your olfactory senses taking you back in time...|
Willingdon Island , Ernakulam
|Named after the viceroy of India, Lord Willingdon, this 775 acre island was created from the soil dredged up while deepening Kochi’s Harbour in 1928. This engineering feat was led by Sir Robert Bristow. The island lies between mainland Ernakulam and Mattancherry. the island houses the Cochin Port...|
Kumbalangi , Ernakulam
|The first eco-friendly tourist village in India, Kumbalngi has numerous home stay options. It is a tiny village facing the backwaters in the western part of Cochin. Kalagramam, the artists’ village is a major attraction.|
Cherai Beach , Ernakulam
|45 kms from the city of Cochin, this lovely beach bordering Vypeen Island is ideal for swimming. Dolphins are occasionally seen here. A typical Kerala village with paddy fields and coconut groves nearby is an added attraction.|
Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Thattekad , Ernakulam
The Thattekad Bird Sanctuary is a peninsular land of 25 sq. km, formed between the branches of the river Periyar. The avifauna includes both resting indigenous birds and water birds. The most notable of the indigenous birds are Malabar grey hornbill, grey jungle fowl, heron, egret, jungle myna, wood..
Broadway , Ernakulam
|Parallel to Shanmugham Road, Broadway is truly a shopper’s paradise that has shops selling everything from household accessories to kitchenware, clothes to shoes, spices, books, gold ornaments, medicines, electronics and furniture. Little alleys and crossroads with quaint choc-a-block shops make...|
Mangalavanam , Ernakulam
|This mangrove forest is a small bird sanctuary, located in the heart of the town behind the High Court of Kerala. It was declared a protected area on 31st August 2004. Managalavanam has a shallow tidal pond covered by dense mangrove growth around its periphery. The mangroves serve as a shelter for birds...|
Kalady , Ernakulam
Kalady is the birth place of Sri Adi Sankara, the great Indian philosopher who lived in the 8th century. Kalady is situated on the banks of River Periyar and there are two shrines in memory of Sree Sankaracharya. One is dedicated to him as Dakshinamoorthy and the other to the Goddess Sharada.Adi Sankara's shrines in Kalady are open to all pilgrims irrespective of religion or caste.
Malayatoor , Ernakulam
|On the slopes of the picturesque Western Ghats, 52 Kms from Kochi and 8 Kms from Kalady is the famous Malayatoor Church visited by thousands of pilgrims every year. This church is believed to have been blessed by the Apostle of Christ, St. Thomas. The church atop the hill was established in A.D. 900....|
Kallil Temple , Ernakulam
|Kallil Temple is situated 22 Kms away from Kalady. A ninth century temple, it is believed to have been built by Jain monks. The temple is cut out from a huge rock approximately 23m X 14m X 8m. and a climb of 120 steps leads to the temple. The temple at Methala is 8 km away from Kuruppampady and 53 kms from Ernakulam (Cochin or Kochi) Kerala. The temple can be reached by traveling a distance of about 4 km from Odakkaly and 13 km from Perumbavoor. The temple was owned by the Kallil Pisharody family.|
Kodanad , Ernakulam
|Kodanad lies on the southern bank of the Periyar River. The place known for its scenic beauty is 45 km away from Cochin city and is 12 kms east of Perumbavoor town. Kodanad is famous for its elephant taming centre where you can see numerous elephants and their calves. You can also enjoy an elephant ride...|
Bhoothathan Kettu , Ernakulam
|Bhoothathan Kettu is situated 50 kms northeast of Ernakulam Town. It is a dam site with boating facilities. A forest nearby has some rock caves that can be fun to explore. According to local folklore, the place was built by many spirits in just one night.|
Dutch Palace, Mattancherry , ErnakulamThis Palace was built by the Portuguese and presented to the Raja of Cochin in 1555 A.D. Though built by the Portuguese , it is popularly known as the 'Dutch Palace' as the Dutch renovated it during their short reign here. The palace is well known for the mural paintings that adorn its walls.